Sorry for the slow updates, it’s been a little hectic over here! This will be just a quick armory update.
I managed to finish up the previously shown terrain tiles for our 15mm sci-fi miniatures to shoot at each other on.
The first up is the building by Proxie Models. I painted this one first, and I have to tell you, I was worried at first. After the first coat of paint, it just looked kind of… blah. I gave it another coat of paint, though, added some details and it started to look better. The final touch that tied it all together was the use of Vallejo Sepia Wash to add some weathering to the structure overall, that really gave it a bit of a lived-in vibe and tied the piece together. It’s nice to go for that look as well, because once you add things that rather clearly state that your building is supposed to look rather ramshackle like the weathering wash, some other things that you may not have thought looked to great actually contribute to the look of the model overall.
The process was pretty much a couple of base coats with a sandy tan color brushed on hastily – almost dry-brushed, but not quite. The roof got a more densely coated painting, though. Then I dry-brushed a bit of Vallejo Deck Tan over it for highlighting, and went about adding the details. I used A single coat of Scab Red and Reaper Blue for the garage and front doors respectively, making sure to leave some black in the recesses to provide shading. I found myself without any metallics, so the corrugated metal was done with a very thin dry-brushing of Vallejo Foundation White. The bit of machinery on the roof was given a coat of Vallejo Luftwaffe Blue, and highlighted by mixing a bit of white in. Finally, the sand was dry-brushed Vallejo Deck Tan, the building was weathered with some Vallejo Sepia wash, and the static grass/flocking was added for some flavor. Voila! I think it turned out rather well, considering I thought we were in for a repaint in the first couple stages of painting!
The second tile is a fairly barren bit of desert with a rock outcropping. Painting this one, in comparison to the previous tile, was extremely simple. It was basically just the last two steps – dry-brush with Deck Tan, add flocking and static grass. Done! I think I’ll be doing more desert tiles! Haha XD
So there you have it, the first of them are done with another dozen or so assembled and ready for paint! I also have a great new idea for the roadway sections that should hopefully work out perfectly, I’m pretty pumped about it. If all goes according to plan, I should have a ton of quick, relatively cheap, and attractive looking roads to help tie the entire table together!